Home Community Forums
Welcome, Guest
Banner

Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin

Re: Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin 2 years, 6 months ago #40271

I couldn't agree more!!!

I also find it interesting that they rave on about schools being dreadful and harmful to children but they behave like one big school gang that no one is good enough to join unless they wanna lick the shoes of the leader
WOMEN WHO SEEK TO BE EQUAL WITH MEN, LACK AMBITION - Timothy Leary

Re: Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin 2 years, 5 months ago #40281

  • kymmy
  • OFFLINE
  • Posts: 240
Another way to look at it is - at least they are not agreeing to keep nice and therefore no one questions what they really believe. Like the TV argument.
I am in two minds about tv because I personally find it conflicts with how I feel about the world and can't trust it. But that doesn't mean its all bad, you can still learn from it. Video games is something I am accepting because my 6yo is a gamer and I know he is learning through it. My 9yo was playing chess with his Dad and they were talking about the benefits of the game like the ability to problem solve. And I said "Like Minecraft." My 9yo said "No" as if he thought I was silly. You can't learn from games, right? I reminded of how when we went out and he was talking about he could make an axe out of a tree to do this and that etc. I was trying to explain the game to my Mum and she said it was educational. Its more involved than it looks.
Anyway nothing is that black and white, every family is different and we are just working it out.

Re: Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin 2 years, 5 months ago #40283

Yeah every family is different, that's why I find the black and white ideals of unschooling that the so called gurus have to be so LAME!!!

This is my opinion about the tv thing, if a family chooses not to have tv for a lifestyle choice then I understand that, what I find odd or hypocritical is when adults use the computer or tv as much as they want but place limits on their kid's screen time

We actually use the negative stuff on tv for the purposes of discussion so for that I quite like tv! My teenager watches SVU and has learnt so much about women's rights and human rights, abuse of power, the legal system, and sooo much more! I know a lot of people would freak out about their 13yr old daughter watching a show that consistently deals with issues of child abuse and rape but I'm really glad for the opportunity to discuss this sort of thing!
WOMEN WHO SEEK TO BE EQUAL WITH MEN, LACK AMBITION - Timothy Leary

Re: Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin 2 years, 5 months ago #40286

yairs. I don't call us radical unschoolers bec ause I have a bedtime for D - because otherwise he can't turn off his computer and go to sleep and he has told me that. I also don't let them eat whatever they like in the house because there are 7 people in the house and a limited amount of money for food and we can't afford for them to gorge one bananas or bread or cheese. But it works for us as a family and the wellbeing of the family as a whole is more important that D wanting to stay up all night and eat all the cheese
But remember Akhilanda’s lesson: even that new whole, that new, colourful, amazing groove that we create, is an illusion. It means nothing unless we can keep on breaking apart and putting ourselves together again as many times as we need to. We are already “never not broken.” We were never a consistent, limited whole. In our brokenness, we are unlimited. And that means we are amazing.

Re: Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin 2 years, 5 months ago #40299

Nevernotbroken wrote:
yairs. I don't call us radical unschoolers bec ause I have a bedtime for D - because otherwise he can't turn off his computer and go to sleep and he has told me that. I also don't let them eat whatever they like in the house because there are 7 people in the house and a limited amount of money for food and we can't afford for them to gorge one bananas or bread or cheese. But it works for us as a family and the wellbeing of the family as a whole is more important that D wanting to stay up all night and eat all the cheese


I think if you're being pernicketty, you can still be radical unschoolers, because D is *asking* for limits re bedtime, and the food thing is a real world limit rather than one you decided to arbitrarily impose.


Tintaglia wrote:
This is my opinion about the tv thing, if a family chooses not to have tv for a lifestyle choice then I understand that, what I find odd or hypocritical is when adults use the computer or tv as much as they want but place limits on their kid's screen time

I don't think I'm hypocritical doing this. I just believe that my kids' brains are different from mine, therefore not everything I have is appropriate for them (same reason I don't let them have alcohol or coffee). I don't think television, gaming etc is bad, but for our kids we think the benefits of not having it during the early years outweigh the benefits of having it. I expect the kids might get into more screen stuff as they get older (although G has been allowed to watch television for almost 2 years and still hasn't developed much interest in it at all - so much for the theory that kids go mad with things when restrictions are lifted).


kymmy wrote:
Like the TV argument.
I am in two minds about tv because I personally find it conflicts with how I feel about the world and can't trust it.

But aren't there many sources of information that can't necessarily be trusted? Maybe television could be a good opportunity to talk about how to evaluate information and opinions?
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Isabel.

Re: Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin 2 years, 5 months ago #40300

Tintaglia wrote:

I also find it interesting that they rave on about schools being dreadful and harmful to children but they behave like one big school gang that no one is good enough to join unless they wanna lick the shoes of the leader

Good point. There seem to be a number of such gangs about.

Re: Sandra Dodd vs Dayna Martin 2 years, 5 months ago #40301

Yeah I definitely hear what you're saying Isabel, I have limited tv and computers and since then I've stopped, and interesting my kids spend LESS time with screens now than they did when I was limiting them
WOMEN WHO SEEK TO BE EQUAL WITH MEN, LACK AMBITION - Timothy Leary
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.81 seconds